About Me

My photo
I might join your century, but only on a rare occasion.

Monday, August 15, 2011

Critical Thinking: Leadership/Role Model Paper.


[ITT Technical Institute, Class of 2007
Top row, left to right: Jamie Steele [me]; James Steele; Sal Corona.
Bottom, l-r: Cheryle Steele; Amber Corona; Jessica Steele.]


My older sister of three and a half years, Amber Corona [formerly Amber Steele] has very much inspired me to try my best, even when circumstances are very difficult -- or, rather, especially when circumstances are very difficult.

As is written in the 30-first person accounts by teenagers who have overcome major life obstacles in the book, True Stories by Teens about Overcoming Tough Times [Al Desetta & Sybil Wolin. 2000], my older sister has shown me the importance of these seven resiliencies: insight, independence, relationships, initiative, creativity, humor, and morality. Though some times in her life were heart-wrenching, she has a strong will, and has proven herself capable of turning it all around to a positive note -- against great odds.

Through her own personal struggles, and through the lessons she's verbally passed down -- she's taught me the art of evolving a self-generated definition of self; embracing self-worth; awareness of oppression, and the beauty of self-reliance. With my older sister in my life, I know that I am connected to support, let alone hope by her example that I can do it, too.

An excerpt from an article I recently read reminded me of something else that my sister taught me:
"Alcoholism runs in families, but there are some children of alcoholics who do not repeat their parents' drinking problems; parenting disabled children is stressful, but there are some who are able to hold on to their joy in life despite anxieties and pain. Such an ability to stand strong and invincible in the face of adversity is what is termed “resilience” in The Struggle to Be Strong and its companion A Leader's Guide to The Struggle to Be Strong." [Wolin, S., Desetta, A., & Hefner, K. (2000)].
My older sister instilled in me the heart of this same lesson - to not be stuck in the rut of blaming your parents for your life; blaming the world for your life; blaming *life* for your life - your life is what you make of it. You are your own problem, but you are also your own solution -- and whatever mistakes your parents made, they are not hereditary. Whatever mistakes you made -- you can learn from them, and change your path. Your future is not written in stone. It is what you make it.

She's far more than a professional role model to me -- she's a role model for dealing with my life.


* * * * * *

References:

• Singh, A. A., Hays, D. G., & Watson, L. S. (2011). Strength in the Face of Adversity: Resilience Strategies of Transgender Individuals. Journal of Counseling & Development, 89(1), 20-27. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

• Struggle to Be Strong (Book Review). (2000). Book Report, 19(3), 70. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

• Chance, P. (2000). The Struggle to Be Strong (Book Review). Psychology Today, 33(6), 75. Retrieved from EBSCOhost.

No comments:

Post a Comment