About Me

My photo
I might join your century, but only on a rare occasion.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Psychology Essay: Stress.

Why should you be concerned about too much stress? Give details.

If the stress becomes too great / unresolved, over time, the body's ability to respond to any kind of resistance collapses into exhaustion.

Stressors can be sudden, traumatic episodes with long-term collateral damage [i.e., an unexpected job loss] or they may be ongoing daily challenges [i.e., the illness of a spouse who requires extensive care], but even less acute daily stress can add up to big mental-health trouble if the noise, pressures, and demands of everyday life are not taken in stride. If left unchecked, a stress-related disorder could be the result, such as: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder; Panic Disorder; Generalized Anxiety Disorder; etc.; some 20-30% of people with anxiety disorders also suffer from depression, as well.

In short, if do not know how to handle your stress, your health could be in great risk; it is definitely worth the time to learn how to control your stress level and/or speak to your doctor about stress, and see what he or she recommends.


What did you learn about stress that you will use to improve your own life? What were you already doing right regarding stress that you aim to continue using? (List at least 5 things between the two questions.)
Meditation, during which the mind empties of thought, has actual physical benefits to the body. Thoughtful reflection can also help the body respond to a stressor.

Social / emotional support [friends; family; peers] contributes to psychological well-being; those who have a sense of belonging and feelings of security experience an increased sense of self-worth. It's comforting to know that you have people to turn to in times of need; therefore, learning to build and maintain healthy relationships has far-reaching benefits to your health.

Cognitive awareness [i.e., keeping a stress journal] is useful for turning around negative thinking; personally, I've written in a journal consistently since I was about fifteen years old, and it's worked pretty well for me; in the past two years, my writing in it has lessened somewhat, but I still have one. It's nice even just to know that I have a private place for my thoughts when I really need to let some steam out.

Guided imagery can help you to feel at peace; personally, I think of places I've been to before that have made me feel peaceful, such as the Pacific Northwest - I'll envision tall redwood trees covered in low mists, with waves crashing against the dramatic cliffs; a fond childhood memory; etc. I often look at photos of beautiful places in my spare time, so my mind is pretty good at picturing someplace quiet and dreamy. No matter what it is that you're picturing in these moments, keep it peaceful and lighthearted, and imagine it as vividly as you can.

Aromatherapy and relaxing music [personally, in these moments, I prefer classical, or something ethereal, i.e., Enya] goes a really long way for me. A few moments like these, often coupled with deep, cleansing breaths, is sometimes all I need to relax and counterbalance stress.


From my school's forum discussion on Stress:

Matthew: I have a question for Jamie and Jessica... Given that a lot of biological conditions are hereditary and that there is a higher chance of expression with identical twins, how similar are your reactions to stress? I.e. do you both tense up the muscles in your back when you stress out? Get depressed? Have increased stomach acid, etc?

Me: In case you don't know, identical twins occur when one fertilized egg splits in two, so my twin sister and I share the same genetic material. Because of this - as studies of twins have confirmed - if a twin has a mood disorder, an identical twin is about three times more likely than a fraternal twin to have a mood disorder as well. With that having been said, my twin sister and I both struggle with depression [and the same type of depression, at that - unipolar] and anxiety issues.


No comments:

Post a Comment