About Me

My photo
I might join your century, but only on a rare occasion.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Psychology Discussion: Judgements - Attribution & Attitudes.

If our attitudes flow in part from our attributions, it would seem that our attributions for others behaviors are rather important. How much time and energy do you invest in making sure you aren't guilty of the fundamental attribution error or the self-serving bias?

Personally, this is something that I try very hard in my life to avoid; I've been guilty of doing it in the past, without really ever realizing it, but since becoming aware of the typical human tendency some time ago, I've made it a point to not be guilty of this in my own life.

I think what it really boils down to, are two things:
• Learning to place yourself into another person's shoes.

• Realizing that you simply don't
[always, at least] know everything about another person's situation.
- Even if it's someone that you are [very] close to.

As the material brought out for Self-Serving Bias:
"One's own external factors are given far more weight than internal factors in explanations of failures."
Between the two judgment errors listed here, I'll admit that this is the one that I have been the most guilty of. My own personal experiences with that have taught me that, even if you are aware of external factors and what the person may be experiencing, there may be internal factors that you are simply not aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment