About Me

My photo
I might join your century, but only on a rare occasion.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Psychology Essay: Attitudes.

What will you take from the material on changing attitudes that you will use or help others apply? How?

I've personally seen the truth in this point in my own life:

"[Persuasion] tends to be more effective as an attitude-changing tool when one or more of certain conditions are met, including:

Invisibility of persuasive attempts

A person who realizes that he is being persuaded is more likely to consciously mobilize change-resistant behaviors, but one who is unaware of the attempt to change his mind is less likely to become defensive. A person with a very strong attitude is more likely to notice and react defensively to subtle persuasive attempts than someone with a milder attitude."


Simply put, this is done by using positive reinforcement for desired behaviours and words, and tactfully not approving of the undesired ones. In situations where an individual feels that his/her personal freedom to make decisions is being curtailed, he/she may respond by acting in an opposite fashion [i.e., reactance].

Now, I am against manipulation [which is a form of emotional abuse], obsessive demands to one's way of thinking, and classifying those not sharing the same beliefs and opinions as I, as inferior and not worthy of respect. However, I can see the tactic I've stated above as being useful if being applied [in a loving way] towards a loved one who, for instance, has perhaps developed prejudices.

No comments:

Post a Comment