About Me

My photo
I might join your century, but only on a rare occasion.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Psychology Essay: Aggression.

What did you see in the theories of aggression that you could take and use with the people in your life who have problems with aggression? How? What could you use to help them should they ask? What will you use to help yourself better handle anger issues you may have?

By way of review - simply put: aggression is any action that's intended to cause harm [be it verbal or physical]. In general, there are two types of aggression:

Hostile/hot aggression [i.e., you get some sort of satisfaction and emotional reward out of causing any kind of pain].

Instrumental/cold aggression [i.e., acting aggressive to defend or protect].

There are three major theories on aggression:

• Frustration-Aggression Theory
[Centered on displacement of anger]

• Social Learning Theory
[Centered on learning by example]

• Aggression as an instinct
[Centered on, as the name suggests, innate reasons of aggression - such as fighting for survival]

The one that I seem to highlight the most in my personal life, I suppose would follow under the Social Learning Theory - I personally disgress with being entertained by violent / aggressive acts [i.e., watching movies that glorify violence]. We all have heard reports on the harmful effects of exposure to violent media content, especially in regards to children, but they're largely ignored. "A clear picture has emerged that exposure to violent media increases the likelihood of aggressive thoughts, emotions, and behavior," as writes author Keilah Worth, PhD. Unfortunately, violence is one of the most popular forms of entertainment. That says a lot about society.

Now, what could I use to help someone else, and myself, with aggression?

First and foremost, realize that uncontrolled anger leads to uncontrolled deeds. Anger is a normal and, sometimes, healthy emotion, but - as pretty much everyone knows, if it's uncontrolled, it can be extremely destructive.

Has anyone ever told you to just punch a pillow; a bag; a doll that looks like your ex? It's called Catharsis, and it's widely believed to ease tension and filter aggression - but in reality, it's quite the contrary. The more you act aggressive, the more aggressive you are going to be. When it comes to choosing which anger management techniques to use, keep this in mind: aggression leads to aggression.

"Take a deep breath!" "Count to ten!" "Bite your tongue!" Sound familiar? I recommend reciting them to yourself to calm down inner agitation. In my personal life - when I've felt on the edge of an outburst, I've left right then to go on a walk; not only does removing myself from a heated situation help to calm me down, but it also gives me the peace and quiet that I need in order to collect my thoughts and start focusing on a solution.

I've mentioned in a past essay which stress relieving techniques I personally like to use [here]; whether it's a fleeting annoyance or a full-fledged rage, the same techniques can apply.

No comments:

Post a Comment